About the role....
As a summer intern at Inari in our Corn Breeding team, you will be responsible to phenotypically characterize inbreds. You will be asked to collect data on areas such as flowering date, silking date, uniformity, etc in order to ensure we have the data we need for our analysis. You will also assist with pollination and other nursery activities related to our breeding program. This internship will be located at our farm in Lafayette, Indiana. The ideal candidate will be a rising senior and have a degree focus in Plant Breeding, Genetics or Crop Sciences.
As a summer intern in Plant Breeding , you will…
- Collect detailed data to phenotypically characterize inbreds with a focus on flowering date, silking date, uniformity, brace root color, leaf angle (open canopy vs upright leaf), leaf color and shape, presence/absence of flag leaf on shoots, plant height and ear height
- Assist in summer corn nursery pollination
- Tracking and analyzation of pollination activities
- Assist in leading the pollination crews
- Participate in collecting data from edited corn observation plots
- Degree focus in Plant Breeding, Genetics or Crop Sciences
- Preference is for a rising senior
- A strong sense of purpose and drive to develop unique, high impact solutions
- Adaptability and enthusiasm for new challenges, innate curiosity, and a passion for learning
- Creative and strategic thinking, willingness to be bold and take risks, and the ability to recognize and learn from failure
- A collaborative mindset that is open to giving and receiving ideas, perspectives, and feedback
- Ability to work both independently and deliver on responsibilities within a highly collaborative environment
- Ability to effectively communicate with a diverse range of individuals and audiences
Inari is the SEEDesign™ company. We embrace the diversity and complexity of nature in every aspect of our business to drive innovation – to push the boundaries of what is possible. Through our unrivaled technology platform, Inari uses predictive design and advanced multiplex gene editing to develop step-change products. We are taking a nature positive approach to unlock the full potential of seed that will transform the food system. The results will lead to more productive acres delivering value creation for farmers and a more sustainable future for our planet.
Our success is dependent on great minds, collaborating to generate bright ideas and deliver exceptional outcomes.
We have over 170 employees, with research sites in Cambridge, MA (USA) and Ghent (Belgium), as well as a product development site in West Lafayette, IN (USA). We’ve deliberately built a team that brings diversity of thought to all aspects of our business, to generate new ideas, approaches, and ways of operating. And we've intentionally combined experience with potential, bringing agriculture industry experts with the desire to innovate together with bright minds from academia, human therapeutics, software, and consulting. If you want to be part of a diverse and inclusive team developing unique solutions to feed the world while protecting our planet’s natural resources, we’d love to hear from you!
- Employee organized groups, regular social events, and volunteer opportunities provide ways for us to forge personal connections and have fun
- A strong focus on professional development, with both internal and external learning opportunities
- Collaboration opportunities with external stakeholders through interactions with our Scientific Advisory Community
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision insurance; competitive parental leave
Apply for this job
Inari is proud of our diverse and talented workforce, and committed to maintaining an environment and business practices that reinforce our commitment to equal opportunity. All employment decisions are based solely upon individual competence, track record of performance, and qualifications related to the scope of responsibility of the job, without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/reassignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state or local law.