About the role….
We are looking for a dynamic, self-motivated and proactive Research Associate to join our fast-growing team at Inari Ghent, who is committed and passionate about developing 21st century solutions to address global food challenges. As a Research Associate you will primarily focus on cellular assays and molecular analysis in different crops.
This position is a hands-on, lab-based role responsible for effective delivery, troubleshooting and putting ideas into action. You will ensure experiments are executed efficiently and correctly, while taking initiative to improve protocols where necessary. The right candidate enjoys a “start-up” atmosphere and is flexible, shows good judgment, takes initiative and is willing to take on additional tasks and responsibilities as needed to achieve goals and deliverables. Excellent communication skills are essential for this role as part of an interdisciplinary team.
As a Research Associate, you will …
- Work with other Research Associates and Scientists to execute scientific experiments related to one or more projects
- Responsible for the development and execution of specific assays in cells and plants
- Execute molecular analysis activities of samples such as DNA/RNA extraction, PCR, qPCR, transfections
- Maintain a clean working environment
- Maintain detailed and organized records of your work, project data you generate and other information as needed
- Work with colleagues to troubleshoot and develop effective solutions when problems occur
- Participate in scientific discussions and present research outcomes to peers and management
- Bachelor’s degree with at least 5+ years laboratory research experience or Master’s degree with at least 3+ years experience in a relevant scientific discipline (e.g. molecular biology, plant biotechnology)
- Hands on experience with molecular analysis techniques
- Experience with cellular assays or a strong motivation to learn this skill on the job
- Demonstrated knowledge and hands-on experience with common (plant) molecular biology techniques
- Familiarity with record keeping (electronic lab notebooks)
- Familiarity with Quality Management Systems (QMS), Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and Work Instructions (WI)
- A proactive attitude, and willingness to be bold and take risks
- An efficient and well organized approach to deliver high quality results on time with integrity
- A collaborative mindset, open to giving and receiving ideas, perspectives and feedback
- Good communication skills, both written and oral
- Knowledge and experience applying genome editing technologies
- Experience with protoplast and cell cultures
- Experience with (plant) virology (VIGS and/or molecular farming)
- Experience with crop plants or non-model species
Inari is the SEEDesign™ company. We embrace the diversity and complexity of nature in every aspect of our business to drive innovation – to push the boundaries of what is possible. Through our unrivaled technology platform, Inari uses predictive design and advanced multiplex gene editing to develop step-change products. We are taking a nature positive approach to unlock the full potential of seed that will transform the food system. The results will lead to more productive acres delivering value creation for farmers and a more sustainable future for our planet.
Our success is dependent on great minds, collaborating to generate bright ideas and deliver exceptional outcomes.
We have over 170 employees, with research sites in Cambridge, MA (USA) and Ghent (Belgium), as well as a product development site in West Lafayette, IN (USA). We’ve deliberately built a team that brings diversity of thought to all aspects of our business, to generate new ideas, approaches, and ways of operating. And we've intentionally combined experience with potential, bringing agriculture industry experts with the desire to innovate together with bright minds from academia, human therapeutics, software, and consulting. If you want to be part of a diverse and inclusive team developing unique solutions to feed the world while protecting our planet’s natural resources, we’d love to hear from you!
- Employee organized groups, regular social events, and volunteer opportunities provide ways for us to forge personal connections and have fun
- A strong focus on professional development, with both internal and external learning opportunities
- Collaboration opportunities with external stakeholders through interactions with our Scientific Advisory Community
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision insurance; competitive parental leave
Apply for this job
Inari is proud of our diverse and talented workforce, and committed to maintaining an environment and business practices that reinforce our commitment to equal opportunity. All employment decisions are based solely upon individual competence, track record of performance, and qualifications related to the scope of responsibility of the job, without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/reassignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state or local law.