About the role....
Inari is seeking a patent attorney with detailed experience in plant biotech inventions to strengthen our internal IP practice. You will work closely with Inari’s science, product development, and business teams to ensure freedom-to-operate and develop, grow, manage, and protect the company’s intellectual property portfolio for its innovative plant products. This is an highly interactive role that requires excellent communication skills and the ability to provide pragmatic and business-savvy advice, identify innovations, and succinctly identify and communicate decisions to both scientific and executive teams.
The ideal candidate demonstrates the ability to execute and manage a global patent and plant variety protection strategies while being equally hands-on and able to execute at a technical/tactical level; and has a plant sciences and/or agricultural industry background with deep experience in the development and protection of IP within this industry.
The focus of support will be Inari’s product development activities at our West Lafayette, IN facility. The position is ideally based in Inari’s premises in West Lafayette, IN.
As Senior Patent Counsel, you will...
- Develop, manage and execute a comprehensive and effective global patent and plant variety protection strategies for Inari’s portfolio of plant products including in-house drafting of patent claims and efficient management of outside counsel
- Ensure freedom to operate and minimize exposure to third party IP, including establishing IP landscape and “white space” analysis in cooperation with the science team; providing and drafting opinions
- Collaborate with technology and product development teams to build strong patent portfolios around key assets to ensure a long-term competitive advantage
- Lead IP due diligence, review, and participate in agreement drafting and negotiations.
- Provide IP counsel and education to Inari scientists and management while supporting Inari’s corporate and business development efforts with regard to IP due diligence, competitive intelligence, IP in-licensing
- Advise with regard to brand protection and trademark strategy
- Manage IP disputes, engaging external counsel if needed
- 10+ years of experience in plant innovation related patents and plant variety protection including patent preparation and prosecution, IP landscape and FTO analysis, opinion work
- Qualified as a US patent attorney; Registration to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USTPO)
- Advanced degree in molecular biology or biochemistry(Required); (Ph.D. strongly preferred)
- Substantive transactional experience and litigation experience preferred
- Extensive knowledge of patent law and procedure, incl. international and foreign patent prosecution
- A flexible, agile, personable, team-oriented approach; an ability to think “out-of-the-box”, and operate in a fast-paced, early stage, small company environment
- Proven ability to set and meet ambitious deadlines, handle numerous multifaceted legal issues and see projects through to conclusion
- Ability to distill complexity and to communicate decisively with sound judgment
- A strong sense of purpose and drive to develop unique, high impact solutions
- Adaptability and enthusiasm for new challenges, innate curiosity, and a passion for learning
- Creative and strategic thinking, willingness to be bold and take risks, and the ability to recognize and learn from failure
- A collaborative mindset that is open to giving and receiving ideas, perspectives, and feedback working with a diverse range of individuals and audiences
- Employee organized groups, regular social events, and volunteer opportunities provide ways for us to forge personal connections and have fun
- A strong focus on professional development, with both internal and external learning opportunities
- Collaboration opportunities with external stakeholders through interactions with our Scientific Advisory Community
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision insurance; competitive parental leave
Apply for this job
Inari is proud of our diverse and talented workforce, and committed to maintaining an environment and business practices that reinforce our commitment to equal opportunity. All employment decisions are based solely upon individual competence, track record of performance, and qualifications related to the scope of responsibility of the job, without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/reassignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state or local law.