About the role…
We are looking for a dynamic, self-motivated and proactive Maize Scientist to join our fast-growing team at Inari Ghent, who is committed and passionate about developing 21st century solutions to address global food challenges. As a Maize Scientist, you will play a central role in developing and managing our maize lead discovery activities, as well as the genetic design of future corn products. You will be responsible for designing, implementing, hands-on executing, and coordinating tasks and scientific projects with a focus on maize.
At the interplay between discovery and product design, this diverse role includes both a strategic element of developing corn discovery activities that integrate Inari’s predictive models, and a lab-based role for hands-on work to efficiently and methodically plan, execute and coordinate experimental work.
As a Maize Scientist, you will...
- Develop and manage our maize lead discovery activities and work to produce genetic designs for future corn products
- Lead the design, implementation, execution and coordination of scientific tasks and activities
- Coordinate lab experiments performed by yourself and research assistants,some of which may include: routine vector design and construction for multiple projects, diverse molecular analyses (i.e., PCR-based genotyping, DNA sequencing analysis, qPCR and Western blot analysis)
- Support maize research activities in the greenhouse including routine plant growth and phenotyping activities
- Train and instruct lab/greenhouse personnel in specific technical tasks and experimental protocols.
- Collaborate with Research Assistants and other Scientists to execute scientific experiments for one or more projects
- Manage third party collaborations
- Scout for new technologies and partners
- Maintain detailed, accurate and comprehensible records of all experiments and results
- Interpret/analyze data, draw conclusions and make recommendations based on the results
- (co-)Develop new scientific project proposals
- Communicate results in well-written and clear oral presentations
- PhD in Plant Biology, Biotechnology, Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, Physiology or related field with at least 10 years of experience or Master in aforementioned fields with 15+ years of experience
- Post-doctoral research, training, and experience in crop biology and plant biotechnology
- Deep knowledge and expertise in maize and crop physiology
- Knowledge and experience with genetics and genome editing technologies
- Demonstrated scientific leadership to independently design, implement, coordinate and drive to successful scientific project outcomes
- Strong record of independent research supported by peer-reviewed publications and/or patent applications and patents
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills adapted to the needs of the target audience
- Ability to thrive and deliver progress toward multiple goals in a fast-paced, dynamic and diverse environment
- Pro-active, highly-motivated and strong team player in planning but with a high degree of independence in execution
- Experience leading a project team working towards a common goal
- Demonstrated innovative, critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Creative thinking, willingness to be bold and take risks
- Openness to giving and receiving ideas, appreciate diverse perspectives, and feedback across multiple teams
- Collaborative team player and capacity to work in multidisciplinary teams
Additional Desired Skills/Experience...
- Industry experience is a plus
- Experience with people management
- Knowledge of (crop) plant & cell transformation techniques
- Employee organized groups, regular social events, and volunteer opportunities provide ways for us to forge personal connections and have fun
- A strong focus on professional development, with both internal and external learning opportunities
- Collaboration opportunities with external stakeholders through interactions with our Scientific Advisory Community
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision insurance; competitive parental leave
Apply for this job
Inari is proud of our diverse and talented workforce, and committed to maintaining an environment and business practices that reinforce our commitment to equal opportunity. All employment decisions are based solely upon individual competence, track record of performance, and qualifications related to the scope of responsibility of the job, without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/reassignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state or local law.