Inari is the SEEDesign™ company. We embrace the diversity and complexity of nature in every aspect of our business to drive innovation – to push the boundaries of what is possible. Through our unrivaled technology platform, Inari uses predictive design and advanced multiplex gene editing to develop step-change products. We are taking a nature positive approach to unlock the full potential of seed that will transform the food system. The results will lead to more productive acres delivering value creation for farmers and a more sustainable future for our planet.
Our success is dependent on great minds, collaborating to generate bright ideas and deliver exceptional outcomes.
We have over 230 employees, with research sites in Cambridge, MA (USA) and Ghent (Belgium), as well as a product development site in West Lafayette, IN (USA). We’ve deliberately built a team that brings diversity of thought to all aspects of our business, to generate new ideas, approaches, and ways of operating. And we've intentionally combined experience with potential, bringing agriculture industry experts with the desire to innovate together with bright minds from academia, human therapeutics, software, and consulting. If you want to be part of a diverse and inclusive team developing unique solutions to feed the world while protecting our planet’s natural resources, we’d love to hear from you!
About the role...
The Inari Software Engineering team is looking for a Manager, Data Engineering to run and build our data engineering platform. Our team is building a cloud-native data backbone to understand the full picture of editing plants, greenhouse phenotypes, and field performance. This role will work closely with data scientists, bioinformaticians, quantitative geneticists, and crop scientists. As a member of our data engineering team, you will be responsible for developing and maintaining the platform that supports predictive design across all of Inari: From visualization, robotic phenotyping, and enabling predictive design to build better seeds.
Inari is a late-stage biotech startup on a mission to transform the food system and create a more sustainable future. We are using predictive design and advanced multiplex gene editing to unlock the full potential of seeds. Inari was named a Technology Pioneer by the World Economic Forum and our Inari Engineering team is featured in the top 16 Engineering teams in the tech industry.
If you want to be part of a diverse and inclusive team developing unique solutions to feed the world while protecting our planet’s natural resources, we’d love to hear from you!
As the Manager, Data Engineering, you will...
- Help work with architectural designs on systems and tools with our application development, machine learning, predictive design, and product development teams.
- Participate in engineering guild, architectural designs.
- Design data schemas, ontologies, representations and ingestion pipelines for genotypic and phenotypic data, among others.
- Contribute to design and implementation of the Inari Data Platform across lab, greenhouse, field and external partners.
- Combine and integrate multiple types of data from multiple sources, ensure data quality, and design data pipelines.
- Contribute to or lead projects for the creation and curation of prioritized datasets for predictive modeling informing the design of next generation Inari seeds.
- Work closely with the engineering team, engineering leadership, and data strategy team.
- Help design ETL for getting information from their primary sources in LIMS, greenhouse systems.
- Bachelors in Computer Science, Mathematics, Biotechnology, Electrical Engineering or related STEM fields.
- 7+ years of data engineering experience supporting scientists doing heavy data analysis.
- You have built and managed teams of engineers working in data systems and back end technologies.
- A strong commitment to our team’s values: learn from every decision, no heroes/heroines, thoughtful inclusion, and fail fast.
- Expertise in one or more of AWS Athena and Glue Pyspark, EMR, DynamoDB, Redshift, Kinesis, Lambda.
- Expertise in Object Oriented Programming, python.
- A passion for CI/CD and containerization technology.
- You are excited about building data models and working with scientific data.
- Significant experience with professional software engineering, including automated testing, agile methodologies, DevOps, pair programming, refactoring.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, cross functional environment in a self directed fashion.
- Active interest in learning new technology or domains. We are an organization that goes across many disciplines.
- Desire to work in a mission driven organization focused on sustainability and how we grow food.
- Experience modeling data and connecting related data sets.
- Interest in exploring new tools from the literature and working with large data sets.
- Experience working with agtech or biotech.
- Experience with Scala, Go, Argo, AWS Glue, and AWS Athena
- Experience working with computational scientists and understanding their diverse needs.
- You have built data lakes and data warehouses.
Learn more about us...
Helping farmers feed the world: https://seedworld.com/faster-breeding-will-help-farmers-feed-the-world/
World Economic Forum Global Innovator: https://inari.com/news/inari-selected-for-world-economic-forums-global-innovators-community
Bloomberg: Inari AgTech Startup https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-05-12/agtech-startup-inari-nabs-new-funding-at-1-2-billion-valuation
- Employee organized groups, regular social events, and volunteer opportunities provide ways for us to forge personal connections and have fun
- A strong focus on professional development, with both internal and external learning opportunities
- Collaboration opportunities with external stakeholders through interactions with our Scientific Advisory Community
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision insurance; competitive parental leave
Apply for this job
Inari is proud of our diverse and talented workforce, and committed to maintaining an environment and business practices that reinforce our commitment to equal opportunity. All employment decisions are based solely upon individual competence, track record of performance, and qualifications related to the scope of responsibility of the job, without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/reassignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state or local law.